It feels like it’s finally here – my favourite season.
Oh Autumn, how I love you.
Let me count just some of the ways…
- I love reaching for a cardigan, a blanket, or the dial on my trusty Vulcan heater. Cosiness is everything!
- I love the changing light. The brightness of summer mellows into wispy cloudy skies and I revel in the shortening of the days.
- I love the food of cooler months. Today I got my slow cooker out for the first time since last winter. My gorgeous sister Lisa gave me a ‘grab bag’ from her freezer – satay chicken curry which will feed, and warm, me for days.
- I love the sound of rain on the roof. This morning at about 6 o’clock, a thunderstorm rolled over my house. The windows rattled and the rain pelted down, and I smiled a big sleepy smile and snuggled further under the covers.
- I simply ADORE autumnal foliage. The way the trees shed their incredibly brightly hued leaves… it utterly captivates me. A wet footpath strewn with a beautiful autumn leaves, yes please!
- I love the way my home’s decor changes. Treasured vintage blankets come out of the ottoman, reminding me of my grandmother. Candles come out and create a cosy flickering glow at nighttime.
- Hot showers become a place of refuge on chilly mornings. Steamed up bathroom mirrors make me happy.
- Weekend drives up to yonder hills take on a magical quality. Between the bracing air that hits your face as you leave home and wait for the car’s heater to kick in, to the rich colours of the landscape and welcoming warmth of favourite cafes, a weekend drive is a special treat.
- I’m inspired to create as the weather cools. I might pick up leaves that catch my eye, or snap 20 photos of a particularly gorgeous tree, or sketch leaves for days, and days. Autumn is my muse. It’s why I love to look up.
- Last but not least, autumn reminds me that life is cyclical. It may look like an ending, but it is really an opportunity to recharge, to draw on unseen reserves, and embrace a few months of life at a slower pace.
Welcome back autumn, I missed you.
Oh, I forgot one of my favourite things about autumn, it’s my birthday in a week! Autumn babies are the bestest.
Are you a lover of autumn? What’s your favourite thing about this time of year?